The Youth Centres of the Youth Development Division, provide a comfortable atmosphere for education and recreation and a place to mingle with others in a youth to youth community. Occupants/users enjoy a youthful and community atmosphere, recreational facilities, and classroom space for conducting trainings or holding meetings. Each of our four centres has a meeting room equipped with a television and VCR set, games, and sporting equipments.
Use of our youth centres for camping, rehearsals or meetings are very inexpensive compared to other facilities. For all our centres, the electricity, water, and garbage-removal charges are included in the occupancy rates. Fees are payable at the Youth Development Division before keys are delivered.
Youth Centres are made available primarily to youth groups/organizations undertaking recreational/educational activities such as meetings, camps, rehearsals, training sessions, indoor games/sports, etc. We make the centres available to persons of all ages and abilities based on the request. It must be pointed out that while we encourage programs that involve children, we do not allow children at the centres without proper adult supervision. We also allow disabled persons to use the facilities, however, at this time we are unable to adequately meet the needs of the disabled community.
Need to use one of our centres? Complete our Youth Centre Programme Application Form (PDF, 64 KB)
Outdoor recreational space for children, youth and adults is provided at all centres. These centres have sporting equipment and games.
Personal Property Insurance
Your personal property is not insured by the Youth Development Division. It is your responsibility to secure your items.
Buses serve all areas where centres are located. Check with locals for bus times, bus fares and frequencies.
There is no storage space at the centres. Should you need to store a small item, discuss it with the centre's manager.
Parking is becoming a problem especially around Roseau. The youth centres do not provide parking. In Roseau, parking fines are issued.
Public pay telephones are available close to the centres. The Youth Development Division does not permit use of its telephone unless it is an emergency. You may want to inform your friends and family of the number where you can be reached but there is no guarantee that staff will be present to take the call.
Youth centres do not have laundry facilities. You will have to make arrangements to do your laundry.
Residents are encouraged to bring their linen with them. Sheets may be made available at a cost. The size of the beds is 36" x 80" and they require the appropriate sheets.
Requirements For Use of Centre
Youth Centre requests are processed according to the order in which the applications are received and in the following order of priority:
- Youth Division organized activity
- Programmes of other departments within the Ministry of Education and Human Resource Development
- Youth groups/organizations with a well-established Programme
- Programmes of other groups and agencies with a youth development focus
- Other non-related youth development activities
NOTE: Centres are not available for functions which include the use of alcohol.
Most centres can easily seat about 50 persons. With limited fans and no air conditioning units it can be uncomfortable seating more than the suggested numbers. The number of bunk- beds at each centre differs. Usually campers use mattresses, cots, or other sleeping gear in order to increase capacity.
Youth Centre Policies
The Youth Development Division's policies on youth centres reflect the division's standards of behaviour for residents and staff members. We seek to promote understanding and respects for others and property. Remember that once you have received a centre booking and signed your centre contract, you have entered into a binding contract with the Youth Development Division and the Ministry of Education and Human Resource Development.
- The Youth Centre shall be made available primarily to youth groups or organizations undertaking recreational/educational activities such as meetings, camps, practices, training programs, workshops, indoor games/sports, etc.
- Bookings/Requests for use of the Centre must be made two weeks in advance with the Youth Centre Manager or Youth Officer responsible or Secretary at the Youth Development Division. Immediate and short-term use can be arranged at the discretion of the Youth Officer/Youth Centre Manager.
- The Chief Youth Officer or the Assistant Chief Youth Officer must be consulted before all requests are approved/denied.
- The Youth Officer/Youth Centre Manager is responsible for ensuring that all rules/guidelines governing the Youth Centre are adhered to.
- Any group/individual requesting use of the Youth Centre must:
- Make the necessary booking giving the required information
- Pay the required (non refundable fee/deposit) and all other fees before delivery of keys.
- Accept responsibility for any damage(s) or loss of Youth Centre property during their occupancy.
- Return the key(s) to the designated person or place on time. Failure to do so will result in future access/use being denied.
For more information please contact:
Youth Development Division
3 Charles Avenue
Tel: (767) 449 8012